Friday, August 26, 2011

Grateful For.. Being 'Over The Top'

We're in party prep mode here.
7 days and counting until Magoo's 3rd birthday party.
The boy is obsessed with all things fire engine, so we are too.
For a couple of weeks anyway.

I like to party.
Always have.
The venues, beverages and themes have changed over the years, but the recipe is still the same.
Lots of great friends + copious food/drink + corny touches = a good ol time.
I like to plan parties.
I love me a theme - and boy, do I run with it.

At times, I've been ashamed and almost apologetic of my tendency to go a little overboard, but there are worse ways to offend people. (Surely?!)

I love my little man more than words (or a big ol' party) will ever be able to convey to him.
Hubby and I, we wished, prayed, cried (and paid!) him into being.
If we choose to celebrate the anniversary of the greatest day in our lives with a big bash - so be it. There's plenty of time to be serious, sensible and boring.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to go a little nuts, make a thousand lists and nearly as many invitations, immerse myself in red and yellow, clean myself into a frenzy, play fire Chief for a spell, celebrate my beautiful boy...

Yes, party poopers - if we had more children we may hate throwing parties (doubt it, but!).
Yes, it's an expense/effort that isn't easily justified to some people.
Yes, I may feel more 'over it' rather than 'over the top' in a few years time.

But's let's roll with the punches fire engines for now.

Party on @ Maxabella's place this weekend with Grateful For...


Shar :-)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you love getting ready for a good old birthday party!! Enjoy :)

Jodi @ The Scribble Den said...

It will be fantastic. Go for it!

Kellie said...

We have two birthdays coming up soon, so I'll be popping back to see how things went. I need some inspiration!!
And looove that you're a planner!
- From the list-making, plan-everything-to-within-an-inch-of-its-life lady. xx

All For Love said...

Oh good on you Shar! Party hard I say and enjoy every moment. They are only young once and why not make the most of the themes and paraphernalia, it is so much fun :o) Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the big par-tay! xo

Anonymous said...

I gave birth to 5girl and 1 boy. I am not good at giving and do not like to go to them. I always made them a new outfit for their birthday and every holliday. I admire any one that can plan a party hope you had a good time. I use to love to sew wish I could get back to it. My passion is flowers now. Hope you have time to look at my garden. Juanita www gardeningwithjuanita.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Horray for Shar and her fabulous parties! We cannot wait for the event. Go Sire Engine!! Love Syssy, Ki, me and Rich

Peggy said...

Oh OTT is the only way! If you are gonna do it, do it good!

Nice one Shar, have a ball. I'll keep my ears peeled for the sound of fun coming from your way. :)

Kelly said...

It all sounds so wonderful, yay for party food xo

No one said...

Just go for it, I say! If you make it happen, then just do it - other's and their gripes be damned! I had one party throughout my entire childhood and therefore I like to go all out (as far as we can reach, anyway) with my kids - it's all about the memories!

Naomi said...

Those forst few parties are so special! Go all out and enjoy it I say!

Veronica @ Mixed Gems said...

I'm feeling a little Under-done now. My toddler's first two parties were very small, just our family and grandmother since the rest of her cousins are in Melbourne. I should throw a big 3rd and try to see if we can get to Melbourne for her to celebrate with a bang!

Farmers Wifey said...

Remind me to call you for my next big milestone birthday. I love that your little man is going to be totally spoilt rotten!!!!!

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful time! There is absolutely nothing wrong with going overboard if you're having fun doing it. (And the kids have a ball!)

Looking forward to seeing the follow up pictures!!

xx

Megan Blandford said...

My little girl is about to turn 3, as well - so much fun planning the party!

Maxabella said...

No dreadful party pooping here, Shar. We are kindred spirits and long may we party on together!! Happy birthday to the Magoo. x