Thursday, October 13, 2011

52 Week Project : Wk 4

52 Week Project - Week 4

Sandboarding Mama...

This pic was taken as I prepared to eat sand on a camping trip this week.

I do like to put the camera down occasionally and get in the mix.
Partly because I hate to miss out on the fun and partly because of the kind of Mum I want to be.

I have plenty of respect for my own mother and the hard work she put into raising us, but I remember her as more of a bystander during some of our most fun escapades.
Mum would often sit by the side of the pool reading or lay in the sun while we ran amuck on slides, rides and adventures.
I did wish she would let her hair get wet and come join us.

I want Magoo to recall that I was happy to make a fool of myself, ditch composure, attempt stand up sandboarding and consequently (and literally) eat sand in the name of positive parenting!!
I want him to remember me as part of the action - not just the one who cleaned up the spills, warned about every hidden danger or videoed the fun.

I'm linking up with the 52 Week Project which is the brainchild of the fabulous My Mummy Daze.
The 52 Week Project
Come on, get in the action and in front of the camera with us!
Shar :-)

Hey, wouldya look at my form pre sand-sandwich, wouldya??!!
Gooooo Mum!






11 comments:

All For Love said...

Oh this is brilliant Shar! Love the pics of you nailing that sandboarding, awesome!
I totally understand what you mean about wanting to be an 'active' Mama too. Particularly having boys, I just want them to feel their Mama is happy to be involved in all of their pursuits, because even though I haven't thought about it often, my Mama was always on the sidelines too. I remember she would NEVER get in the water at the beach or in pools with us. She didn't like swimming, but she wouldn't even get in to play. I love her to bits and she's the best, but I would have loved having her ride the odd rollercoaster or climb trees with me. Maybe I'm still a child at heart, but I enjoying doing that kind of thing with the boys :o) xo

Sweaty said...

Oh, you are definitely one cool mama! Magoo would have so many fond memories, rockin' it with his kick-ass mom! Love this!

Peggy said...

Wow that is AWESOME! You look amazing sandboarding. I bet Magoo thinks his mum is way cool, good on your Shar. I have the same idea, I like to join my son boogie boarding when we are at the beach and getting my hair wet at the local pool. And I always, always wind up having a laugh too!

Well done. That sure looked like fun! :)

Teresa said...

Love the first photo and majorly impressed of you standing on the board - wow!

I agree with getting amongst the action!

Unknown said...

You're a bloody legend woman!

Play play play... thanks for the reminder. I needed it. :)

Lee said...

Wow, awesome fun and great shots!

And yes play is important for all of us. Good on you for getting involved and not being a spectator.

Daisy, Roo and Two said...

Look at you go!! You are totally not the bystander Mum by any means!! I find myself bystanding a lot in these early years, but try to get into it when I can!

RunToTheFinish said...

that looks so cool!! i love that you get in there and try it out, my mom would never have even given it a go

permanently amanda said...

That looks like so much fun (so glad you included all the other pictures too)!

Totally agree about having to make sure there is a record of you taking part too. I really don't remember my parents being as active in my life, outside of basketball coaching and Brownie leading, as I am in Miss 5's. I want her to know that I was always there and interested and that sometimes we did some cool stuff too (although maybe not quite as cool as you! ).

Thea said...

GORGEOUS!
I'm guilty of not getting in on the action...I should change that.

My Mummy Daze said...

You're an awesome mum!! Your posts always inspire me to get out and LIVE more! I loved all of these pictures! Amazing! Magoo will love you for being such a great role model.