Wednesday, October 5, 2011

No, Me Not.

Kids.
Insert eye roll.
Kids and their 'phases'.
Insert additional eye roll.

Magoo has taken to responding to our perfectly reasonable statements such as
"we're sitting down to have dinner now"
or
"tomorrow you're off to daycare, remember"
or
"you're being silly/dangerous/rude"
or
"you've got to pick those up before your bath"
or
"you get to go in the pool without Mummy or Daddy now that you're three"
or
"you're just so adorable"
with
"no, me not"

No, me not have a rest when me get home.
 Luckily, he's still fairly compliant, so it's more lip service than anything else.

No, me not.

 

First things first - the grammar.
Oh my, the grammar.
'No, I am not'
is the correctly formed negative response if he feels compelled to be painful resistant.

Secondly - "no"????
I. beg. your. pardon.??

Thirdly - the tone.
The boy has perfected a fast, smug effect to those three words that has Hubby and I repeating it to each other long after his last "no, me not" of the day.
It's both cute and irritating all at the same time.
A lot like a Smurf, really.

It is a 'phase', right?

I believe "I don't want to" comes next.
Or will it be "me no want to" just to please my inner grammar goddess.
Shar :-)


6 comments:

Teresa said...

Ha ha! So true re smurf anaology! We are being "shusshed" quite frequently lately and being told "I too busy!"... to have a bath, eat dinner etc etc. You have to laugh.

All For Love said...

Hmm, such defiance! Sounds so familiar, we've been going through a similar stage for a while now. We constantly need to remind Angus that you don't say, "get me this, or that"... but "I would like this or that please". We reinforce it til we're blue in the face.
At least Magoo is super cute, would be impossible to deal with otherwise ;o) xo

Tara @ Mum-ments said...

Oh i feel your pain master 3 has attitude galore and master 1 is not far behind it :|

MultipleMum said...

We get 'I'm *not* doing it'. They are good aren't they? I love your Smurf analogy too. Cute but annoying x

Life Love and Hiccups said...

Oh yay it is working. I ahve been trying to post on your blog for days and I couldn't. I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your posts. It is now officially on my daily to do list :) xx

Kate @ Our Little Sins said...

My best friend and I keep saying to ourselves "thank gawd they're cute..." At least you got three years before it started! I think this might be the start of a phase that will last until they're about 21 or so...or that's what I'm told. You might have to just hope the grammar gets better to make it more bearable.