Thursday, March 15, 2012

So That's How The Fairies Do It?

Welcome.
Let's talk fairy bread.
Cause I'm wiiiiild and crazy like that.

Ask Hubby and he'll tell you that I've got 'book smarts' and he's got 'good smarts'.
He continuously astounds me with his real-world solutions to real-world problems.
Whether we're renovating, fixing yet another breakdown or trying to avoid further debt, Hubby always thinks outside the square and finds innovative
(and sometimes completely unsafe)
ways to go about things.

(I'm going to overlook the fact that he can't seem to dispose of empty packaging or pick his clothes up off the floor for the sake of painting him in the best light here.)

Last weekend Hubby's resourcefulness came to the fore again.
In a less 'hardware' style though.

I have been a teacher who loves kids for a number of years now.
I know fairy bread.
I make fairy bread.
Hubby assumes that fairy bread is literally that 
- and it appears on platters to take to parties thanks to the fairies.

On Sunday, he walked in as Magoo and I were beginning to make fairy bread for a party.
He decided he wanted to join us. Maybe his iPhone was charging or something.

We had a family production line going on and I began
buttering the bread (right to the edges, of course).
Hubby proceeded to fill a shallow dish with hundreds and thousands and help Magoo to
dip the buttered (right to the edges) bread face down in the "sminkles".
Well, I'll be damned.
I. DID. NOT. KNOW. THAT. WAS. HOW. YOU. MADE. FAIRY. BREAD.

I've been sprinkling the hundreds and thousands onto the buttered (right to the edges)bread using spoons, shakers, fingers and strainers for years.
Making quite the mess in the process.

Am I completely alone in my ignorance?
Is it worth blaming my Irish heritage or sheltered upbringing
with a mother who never made fairy bread?
Anyone? Anyone?

Shar :-)


While you're here ...

Thank you for your comments on Tuesday's Baker's Delight post.
The winners/grinners of the $10 vouchers are : 
 
Jane from Planet Baby
Julie from Mama of Two Boys
and
Corinne from Daze of My Life.

Enjoy girls!
:-)

8 comments:

Mrs M said...

You know I have visuals of you sprinkling it on top. That's bloody hilarious.

admin said...

never made fairy bread!! but yes I thought you would push the buttered bread into the plate of sprinkles & you could make it even more fancy by using a cookie cutter to cut out shapes!!!

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

Oh I think it is just a male's way of thinking some times, even if they haven't seen it done before we think square and they think circle;)x

Eccentricess said...

Tupperware has been such an amazing influence on my life. Until I read your post, I didn't realise that people who didn't have Aunt's who were Tupperware consultants, grew up without the knowledge that you take a large modular mate, pour the sprinkles in and then place the bread face down in that.
My Aunty used to demonstrate that back in the 70's - always a winner demo!

Kate @ Our Little Sins said...

oh.dear.gawd - i could've saved myself so much cleaning over the years if only i'd been doing it the husb's way. these blokes are clearly good for something!! this is going to revolutionise my fairy bread making...

Life Love and Hiccups said...

I hate to give one to the men, but my hubby also taught me the same trick and cutting the crust off and making shapes before you dip too. Bloody men, gotta show us up from time to time. :) xx

All For Love said...

Haha, you are hilarious Shar! Hate to say it but I'm with hubby, I've always dipped the bread and butter into the sprinkles. But hey, there IS more than one way to skin a cat! Gorgeous pics of your lil' helper... and thank you again for the prize, ever so grateful xoxo

Kate @ Our Little Sins said...

I told my husb about this post, and about your husb's fairy bread making method and he looked at me, eyebrows raised and said "um, yeah, how else would you do it?" Maybe just a bloke thing?!